Ever wonder about the best time to post a photo on Instagram? Do you think about what filter will give your photo the most appeal? In a recent study called “The Fortune 500 Instagram Report,” almost 20,000 posts from every Fortune 500 company with an Instagram account were analyzed to discover what these companies were posting—and when—so the regular Instagram user can benefit from their research. Here are some highlights:
- Instagram is quickly growing as a predominant social media platform among the Fortune 500 companies. Out of all Fortune 500 companies, 123 have Instagram accounts. (And, in case it comes up in a game of trivia, Starbucks was the first Fortune 500 company to adopt Instagram.)
- While the study shows there is no one conclusive “best day” to post on Instagram, Fortune 500 companies tend to do the most posting on Thursday.
- The peak popularity for interaction—defined as likes and comments on a photo—tended to be from 3-4 p.m. EST. The most popular time to post videos was from 2-3 p.m. EST. Videos were most effective—received the most interaction–when posted in the off-work hours, between 9 p.m. to 8 a.m. EST.
- Among the Fortune 500 companies, “normal” or “no filter” was the most popular filter option, with “Lo-fi” and “X-Pro II” coming in as second and third most-popular filters, respectively. However, the study showed the most effective filter—the one that generated the best overall interaction when used on a photo—was Mayfair.
- For accounts with less than 1,000 followers, the use of eleven or more hashtags in a caption saw a huge spike in average interaction for that photo.
Want to learn more about Instagram? Be sure to listen to a recording of our Instagram class on LearnCenter!
Information from Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices LearnCenter